2nd Annual General Meeting of the Patrick Brompton Community Events Committee held on Monday 22nd January 2018 at 19.00 in the Old School Room, Patrick Brompton
Financial Report for the year ending 30 September 2017
The attached statement of income and expenditure for the year to 30 September 2017 shows an operating profit for the year of £322.
This is a significant reduction on the profit made in the previous year and the comparisons with 2015/16 are shown on the statement.
It should be noted that:
a). 2015/16 was not a full year as the Events Committee was not in place until January 2016
b). the level of activity during the period of the first accounts was considerably less than the subsequent full year.
c). the purchase of a sound system during the year
d). the increase in the cost of printing, including the newsletters, which had previously been done at no expense.
The remaining funds from the AD fund raising has now been absorbed into the general accounts.
The costs of the insurance premium and the film licence have been adjusted to take account of the cover which will continue not 2017/18.
With thanks to Aisling Downie for reviewing and adjusting, where appropriate, the accounts to produce the year end statement.
Patrick Brompton Community Events Committee
Chair's Report January 2017
This year has been another cracking year for PBCEC. Although unexpectedly I carried on being Chair, I would like to sincerely thank the whole committee for their help and support throughout the year. It has been wonderful to have Mags as Vice Chair this year, Judi J continued a further stint as our ever efficient Treasurer; a huge thank you for ensuring our insurances are kept up to date and also for keeping the coffee morning supplies sorted! This year we had a change of Secretary - Judith C took over the reins and has also done a wonderfully efficient job. Her Town Council knowledge and experience has kept us well informed and on the ball!
Thank you to Penny for completing most of the year making sure the Newsletters were written and our publicity well sorted.
Pete has been a good link ensuring we are able to work alongside The Parish Council and Judy N continued the important link to our Church. Thank you both, and to Linda for sorting our part of The Patrick Brompton Village Website.
We carelessly lost members this year too! Sue P retired for health reasons. Sue was a keen founder member and her enthusiasm was sorely missed - however she continues to help in any way that she can. We said a sad farewell to Penny and Linda, who moved out of the village in early October, leaving a hole yet to be filled. We did however welcome new member Brenda - who has got stuck in and it is a pleasure to have her on board!
Helen has been a support to all - and keeps us all grounded as well as visiting Ikea for supplies!
We have continued to organise events that have brought the community together and the vast majority of our community have joined in and thanked us profusely for our hard work. I would like to thank every one of those people for their valued support, some of whom happily help out at our events.
Our monthly meetings ensure things are well organised and a great deal of thought goes into all that we do. Our committee members give of their valuable time and work hard for the good of our village community.
Our shared coffee mornings continue to be a great success and it is wonderful to see our village coming together on a regular basis. Thank you to those people who help us by providing raffle prizes, baking and taking a turn to deliver. It is also fabulous to see members of Newton le Willows attending - as well as our villagers attending theirs.
Pete has organised some fantastic film nights for us, and more people have generally been attending. Film Night advertising continues to be a challenge due to licence restrictions but those who do attend enjoy what they see.
We have had two great quiz nights organised by Woody and Grahame. One in the Old Schoolroom, and one in The Green Tree. Both were very well attended. The last at The Green Tree was packed and we have had requests to do more! We also donated the £100 made on the raffle to Children in Need.
We had a wonderful 70s Night with Patrick Brompton's Eddie Grant providing us with live music! Bryan and Carol were the perfect hosts and I would like to thank them for their help and support with many events.
In March and April we were able to enjoy the fruits of our labours: a wonderful display of daffodils adding to those already in situ. And in October a large group of us planted 1,000 more - kindly donated by Penny and Linda. We look forward to another Spring display!
We worked alongside the Parish Council to provide two new signs for Patrick Brompton, and we instigated and thank Ward's for building us a new stone plinth for the sign at the Leyburn side. This we planted up, and thank you Helen for keeping it looking good! We also cleared all the brambles alongside the wall which tidied it beautifully. We sowed seeds for the summer, though this year they were not as eye catching as the year before.
We spent a lot of time and effort with our new venture - The Village Show. This was linked with our annual BBQ. Although we learned a lot along the way, we were all thrilled at how well it went. Some earned more rosettes than others!! But it was fantastic fun and many entries were received. The BBQ was once again well attended and it is certainly something that we would wish to continue. We have already planned for 2018!
October saw us putting on a ceilidh! And it was a terrific night - Hackforth Village Hall committee did us proud and the food was fab too!
I was invited to attend and speak at Rev Chris' Licensing on behalf of the PBCEC. I also regularly attend the Lower Dales Village Hall Committee meetings which has been very beneficial and helps ensure no clashing dates!
We repeated our Beetle Drive night - this time in The Green Tree and without the help of Hilary this time! By some miracle it went very well but we did miss Hilary's organisation! Bryan cooked a fabulous meal and a good time was had by all!
This year we helped out at the church with St Patrick's Christmas fare and coffee morning, and some of us even helped make Christmas wreaths to sell. Thank you to Avie for her expert help and advice!
And we are trying to link up with Newton-le-Willows more. Our first joint event being a shared Christmas Afternoon Tea with Carols. Thank you to those who were able to attend and to Ann Brown for her ideas and enthusiasm.
While trying to put together events for the community to share, we are mindful of keeping the costs to a minimum, and not intensionally making profit, and of course we do have obvious expenses. We ask regularly for spending ideas and last year money renovated the Telephone Box. This year our goal was to replace two village signs, and plant more daffodils and summer seeds. With the exception of the seeds we incurred no costs as both were in the end funded by donations! We have plans to replace the sign at the Bedale end of the village which is no longer reflective, and to purchase a domed shelter to use at events. Ideas for spending, and for events are always requested from the community, and are very welcome.
As I come to the end of my two year stint as Chair, I would like to say how much I enjoy working with every one. It's a terrific committee - that works very well together - for a fabulous and appreciative community. And, although very happy to take the reins again in the future, I am eager to hand over now as I firmly believe a change is as good as a rest!
I know that PBCE will continue to thrive in 2018 - we have lots to look forward to!
Thank you all!
The meeting was held at Helen Whitehead’s house at The Haybarn, Butterwell Farm and opened at 3pm.
In attendance: Wendy Shepherd, Judi Johnson, Judith Cockburn, Judy Norman, Pete Philpott, Margaret Chapman, Helen Whitehead and Brenda Stratton
1 Apologies were received from Judy Norman. The minutes from the meeting held on 16th October 2017 were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chair.
2 NO matters arising
3 Treasurers Report was given by JJ. The Ceilidh managed to break even after Hackforth Village Hall didn’t charge for the Bands food and friends of JAC kindly paid for their tickets even though they had a medical emergency. Although JJ had not received the latest bank statement she informed the Committee that there was approximately £1000 in the account. The Annual accounts had now been passed to the Auditor, Aisling.
4a Last coffee morning – the morning was very busy, total monies taken were £184. The Committee approved the purchase of 20 additional mugs – HW to purchase from Ikea along with more serviettes.
4b Bulb planting – More helpers than last time meant that this was completed in an hour, thanks to all who helped. The Committee decided to continue the bulb planting next year.
5 Newsletter - WS confirmed that she had completed the Newsletter for Oct/ Nov/ Dec and it had been distributed. She was looking for someone else to do the next. As no one was able to do so she will compile the next one with help from the committee. The Committee decided to issue an additional update along with notification of the AGM to be held on 15th January 2018. WS kindly agreed to do this.
6 Coffee Morning Rota for 2018 was agreed. JAC was asked to print off copies for the Church ladies and pass to Alistair Clark.
7 Film Night Feedback – PP reported that 10 people had attended the last film night so the night had made a profit. PP to give a list of films to be shown for Jan/Feb/Mar 2018 to WS.
8 Parish Council matters – PP reported that the telephone box had been discussed again and that there were questions about the further use of it. Also that there was a proposed Boundary change which would affect Patrick Brompton. He informed the Committee that a meeting was being arranged at Newton le Willows Village Hall on 6th December to discuss. It was suggested that a draft letter be written by the Council and made available to all Residents to send to Richmondshire Council if they wish to object to the changes. PP was asked to pass this on to the PB Parish Council.
9 Quiz Night 17th November – WS reported that 50 tickets had been sold. JJ agreed to take the float for the raffle and all were asked to donate raffle prizes. JAC agreed to bring mint sauce.
Other events in 2017 –
10a Carol Singing – 16th December, meeting at Manor Green at 6pm. JAC has music sheets. PP to play guitar, Penny and Linda are hoping to join us. Green Tree afterwards where Bryan will serve mulled wine and mince pies
10b Music Night – booked for 17th February 2018 at 7:30pm with Eddie at the Green Tree. Ticket price was set at £12.50 and the Committee agreed to have a Red theme since it was close to Valentine’s Day. 'Wear your heart on your sleeve' Menu suggestions were: Red Thai Curry or Vegetable Lasagne with Committee members to bake a Red Velvet cake each to serve for dessert. WS to speak with Bryan to confirm menu and feedback at a future meeting.
11 AOB – a date for the AGM was set for 15th January 2018 at 7pm to be held at the Old Schoolroom. JJ to update the template from last year and send to WS.
JAC requested a reminder to dog owners to clean up after their dog as there had been a run of dog fouling recently.
As previously said AB from Newton le Willows Village Hall Committee is eager to have a joint “Bring and Share” Afternoon Tea at Newton le Willows and Patrick Brompton Village Hall. This has now been arranged for Sunday 3rd December 2:30 – 4:30pm. Could available members help serve tea please. Most members have other commitments but JJ and WS can share the time slot between them.
Church Christmas Fare Coffee Morning to be held on 25th November 2017. Help required 10-12. Avie wanted help to make wreaths to sell, 14th November at 6pm at the Old Schoolroom. Please bring gloves/ secateurs.
12 Next meeting was agreed for Monday 15th January 2017 at Margaret Chapman’s house, Kirkpatrick at 3pm
Minutes from Meeting held on 3rd May 2017
The meeting was held at 3 Pasture’s Green (Judith’s house) and opened at 3pm.
In attendance : Margaret Chapman, Judith Cockburn, Linda Cork, Wendy Shepherd and Pete Philpott.
Apologies: Judi Johnson, Penny Vernon, Helen Whitehead and Judy Norman.
The minutes from the last meeting were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chair.
Matters arising – none
Treasurers Report from JJ – Not available as Judi is currently away.
Coffee Morning/ Rota – in April was run by the Church ladies and was very busy.
Clear up at the Village sign, photo shoot –the sign is looking much better. The Darlington & Stockton Times published a photo and a short piece about the new sign but unfortunately omitted to mention the involvement of the Events Committee, it intimated that it was solely carried out by the Parish Council. WS and JAC will write a letter to D & S outlining their disappointment.
Flower Bed Signs – Two Wild Flower beds are now planted and a special thank you goes to David Chapman for making the signs which are now in situ. Linda and Wendy to plant up the Bedale end and then arrange for the Hackforth end to be done once the new sign is up.
Village Show – WS, The Schedules have been distributed as agreed previously and Walter has also agreed to make a couple of signs advertising the Village Show. The Committee agreed to send a letter to all judges confirming their invitation to judge and to invite them to stay for the BBQ after the show has finished. JAC will send out a letter of thanks following the event.
It was agreed that JAC will purchase 28 sets of rosettes from Prudhoe Rosettes at a cost of 53p each. BBQ to be organized next meeting.
Newsletter – PV, although Penny was unavailable she did send some notes with Linda. April newsletter went out slightly later than usual and both Penny and Linda are away until the 23rd May so the next newsletter will go out in June. All contributions to be received by the end of May along with a recipe please. WS mentioned that the Gateway Magazine had published the incorrect details of our elected Committee members so she would contact to ask them to correct this as well as the correct details for the Craft afternoon.
Film Club Feedback/ License Renewal – PP, Pete said that there were not large numbers attending the film evenings so wondered about being more proactive to advertise (within legal parameters!). Pete was to ask people at the coffee morning for their emails to send a reminder round hoping to get more interest. The Committee agreed to this initiative. The license has been renewed.
Parish Council matters –PP, Pete mentioned the Annual Parish meeting and Annual Council meeting on 10th May. He said that included on the Agenda was the refurbishment of the Bus Shelter and the signage for the Defibrillator in the phone box. He encouraged anyone interested in having a say to attend.
Coffee morning for Bedale Library – PV, will take place on 27th May 10 – 12 noon as usual in the old schoolroom. Sue Perkins from the Library would like a table at the back of the room for a book stall. The Library would organize the flyers advertising the coffee morning for us to distribute by 19th May. The volunteers would also bring a banner and leaflets on the day, along with the raffle prizes.
Sue Perkins will arrive at approx. 9:15 on the day, her contact number is: 450301.
Baking: WS - Chocolate Brownies (will give to Mags)
JAC – Blueberry Scones
MC – Cheese Scones
*CAN EVERYONE LET PENNY KNOW WHAT THEY WILL BE BAKING PLEASE*
WS will put out Coffee morning signs and JAC will collect them back in.
Event Committee e-mail address – WS
The email address was now up and running: email@example.com (using google chrome)
Password was distributed to those at the meeting.
It was agreed that everyone should take a turn at checking the messages for a month and report back at the next meeting.
Rota so Far:
May – Judith C
June – Linda
July – Wendy
August – Mags
September – Pete
Organsation and dates for other PB Community Events in 2017 - ALL, Ceildih/ Barn Dance – It was agreed to be held in October, WS to ask Hackforth Village Hall Committee for their available dates. MC to contact band.
Murder Mystery – there may be a contact in Newton le Willows, more to be discussed later...
To discuss again next month.
A.O.B. – ALL, WS confirmed that the Public Liability Insurance was renewed via Coversure in Bedale at a cost of £229.24. WS and JAC to write a letter to D & S. Walter has mentioned that PB events are never mentioned in the D & S and could we do anything about this? This will be added to the letter also.
Date/ location of next meeting –
The next Committee meeting was arranged for 5th June 2017 at Helen Whitehead’s house (Butterwell Farm) at 3pm
As there was no further business the Chair closed the meeting at 4:50pm.
Minutes from Meeting held on 27th March 2017
The meeting was held at Rose Cottage (Penny and Linda’s house) and opened at 3pm.
In attendance : Margaret Chapman, Judi Johnson, Judith Cockburn, Linda Cork, Judy Norman, Wendy Shepherd, Penny Vernon and Helen Whitehead.
Apologies: Pete Philpott.
The minutes from the last meeting were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chair.
Matters arising – a note from the Chair to record that people helped clear the new sign area on 8th March. Thanks to those who attended - it has made a big difference.
Treasurers Report from JJ – The 70’s night made a loss of £5.10 but this was offset by the purchase of baskets which will be re-used in future events. The raffle made £100 on the night which subsidized the ticket price.
The balance in the Bank Account was £1063.18.
Coffee Morning/ Rota – in March was very busy. It was agreed that the amount of milk required needed to be increased to 8 pints. JAC to update the Coffee Morning details.
Clear up at the Village sign –was very well attended brambles/ weeds cleared and the village sign planted up. LC to arrange a photo shoot with the D and S.
Dog Fouling Signs – MC, looked at the price and it was decided not to purchase any more. PV would add a reminder regarding dog fouling in the next newsletter.
Flower Bed Signs – MC, has looked online but not managed to find any suitable signs. David Chapman has agreed to make these for us. The committee agreed to this suggestion.
Village Signs - WS, The old signs are scheduled to be taken away and the new sign on Hackforth Road is scheduled to be erected as soon as possible.
Film Night Selection – PV, had a meeting and made a list of 10 films (more recent films) To liaise with PP for the order.
70’s Night – WS, was a great success and very well attended. Bryan and Carol said they would be happy to have another event at the pub in the future.
Village Show – ALL, The committee agreed that a letter to the Chair of PB Parish Council should be sent to the Clerk asking if the chair would open the village show. JAC to send asap.
The Schedule was amended and agreed, MC to update and send to everyone. The Entry forms were discussed and agreed, WS to complete and send to everyone. It was agreed that a SAE should be included in all entries received so that tickets could be sent out to entrants. The timings of the day were agreed.
The Committee agreed to distribute Entry Forms to Newton le Willows, Crakehall Filling Station, PB Bus Shelter, the Weighouse in Bedale and St Patrick’s Church, Patrick Brompton. Also each Committee member would have copies to hand out as required. It was agreed that we produce posters advertising the Show in the surrounding area.
Judges had been agreed for all categories.
Soup for the Parish Council Litter Pick– Parish Council have arranged a litter pick on 8th April. PB Parish Council has arranged for the soup and rolls.
Newsletter – PV, the next newsletter would be issued in April. GS and LC to look at having an email address on the website for people to contact the Committee.
Film Club Feedback/ License Renewal – WS, The last film show took £20. The license is due for renewal in May, PP to bring the renewal letter to the next meeting. The Committee agreed that there should be no films shown in July and August.
Parish Council matters – as PP was not at the meeting there was no Parish Council update.
Bedale Library – PV, will take place on 27th May 10 – 12 noon as usual in the old schoolroom. Sue Perkins from the Library would like a table at the back of the room. Penny had arranged a meeting with Sue Perkins on 26th April to discuss.
Summer Seed Purchase - The Committee agreed to purchase seeds and compost for the planting to be held on Saturday 22nd April at 10am meeting at the Bus Shelter. It was agreed to purchase 8 boxes as last year, HW agreed to purchase.
Organization and dates for other PB Community Events in 2017 - ALL, Ceildih/ Barn Dance – WS and JAC to ask contacts.
Murder Mystery – on hold at the moment due to illness.
Quiz Night – Grahame and Woody are happy to hold another event in November.
To discuss again next month.
A.O.B. – ALL, JJ informed the Committee that the Public Liability Insurance is due for renewal on 30th April, WS to look at quotes for Zurich Insurance. The Notice Board in the Bus Shelter, PV said she was happy to update this and keep it tidy.
Date/ location of next meeting –
The next Committee meeting was arranged for 3rd May 2017 at Judith C house (3 Pastures Green) at 3pm
As there was no further business the Chair closed the meeting at 5pm.
The Events Committee
We meet monthly to organise both social and fund raising activities in our village. Thanks for your support at our events.