The naming of Patrick Brompton took many forms over the centuries. The village is listed by the Normans as ‘Bruntone’ [abbreviated Latin] in the “Great Domesday“. Sometime after 1090 it appears as Patric Brumpton. There are various spellings over the centuries, Brunstone 11th C., Patricbrumstone or Brumton Patrick, 12th C., Paterick Burnton and Paterick Brumpton 13th C. Delightful forms found in the 14th C, include Patryngbrumpton, Patrikebrompton and Patrigbrompton. Written in 1577, another spelling was Patrike Brumton and then found on the cover of the 1683 -1722 Church Register ‘The Ridchester of Patterick Brompton’. Other forms found are Brunton Pateryke and Papptterick Brompton. Before literacy was common throughout England, place names often changed and mapmakers were as much responsible for this as local people. The first county map by Christopher Saxton 1577 has Patrikbrunton.
It is now more affectionately known as PB!
There are eight properties including the pub and church plus ten gravestones listed and available to view on line at http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk; which is free.
To access, register your e-mail address; enter Patrick Brompton and there is a brief description of each property and a photograph.
The older part of Patrick Brompton was designated a conservation area in December 1995, an area of special architectural or historic interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve and enhance. The boundaries extend from Laburnum Cottage and The Green Tree to Ashla House and Manor House.