Minutes from Meeting held on 9th January 2017
The meeting was held at PB Old Schoolroom following the AGM and opened at 3pm.
In attendance : Margaret Chapman, Judi Johnson, Judith Cockburn, Linda Cork, Judy Norman, Wendy Shepherd, Penny Vernon, Pete Philpott and Helen Whitehead.
There were also three members of the public.
The minutes from the last meeting were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chair.
No matters arising
Treasurers Report from JJ – The last coffee morning held on 7th January raised a total of £141.80 minus the £15 room hire meant that both the Events Committee and the Church received £63.40.
The total profit from the Wine tasting event was £255. The total in the Bank is approx. £1200 (no exact figure available as awaiting latest Bank statement)
Feedback from Wine Tasting – MC, was a great success, everyone enjoyed a great evening of entertainment, supper was superb and lots of interest for another one in 2017.Photos from the evening can be found on the Patrick Brompton website.
Carol Singing – LC, not as well attended as last year but still enjoyed by all. Mince pies at the pub worked well.
Christmas Tree Festival – JN, very well attended over the weekend, thank you to all who contributed.
Village Christmas Tree – WS, thank you to Peter, Robert and Woody for erecting the tree, lots of comments how nice it looked.
Beetle Drive – WS, good fun was had by all although was not very well attended. To arrange another date in 2017.
It was discussed that the events in the Village no longer featured in the D & S newspaper and members felt that it would be useful to have a member of the parish take up this role.
Coffee Morning feedback – JN, lots of cakes left over (although more than usual baked). Also Sylvia has asked to be taken off the team for future coffee mornings.
LC asked to update the Rota for 2017 and re-issue.
Village Sign – Parish Council have had agreement from A12LB to provide a new sign free of charge for the Main Road, Wards have agreed to provide a stone plinth with room for planting flowers on top. The road sign on Hackforth Road will also be replaced free of charge by A12LB group, size to be agreed with Highways.
Notice Board – The new notice board is now in situ in the Bus Shelter. Councilor’s Bull, Shepherd (& Wendy) and Hudson have keys. The idea was to use half for the Events Committee information and half for the Parish Council documents.
Phone Box – Robert H and Richard Grant have now put the glass in the phone box and painted the Crowns on top. Grahame S is to finish painting the roof white. The Parish Council have still to sort the Defibrillator.
Newsletter – PV, the last newsletter was issued in December with the next one due in February. Penny to include a thank you for the Village signs donated from A12LB group and Wards. Linda also mentioned that Wards would like to receive future flyers/ Newsletters at their office on the A684. It was agreed that we would need to print 80 copies for distribution in future.
Film Club Feedback – PP, The Christmas film showing was cancelled due to equipment not being available. The Committee are looking to buy their own DVD player and sound bar (needs to be compatible with projector from Newton Le Willows). PP and GS to go to Scott’s in Bedale. The approximate cost will be £140. The Committee agreed to this expenditure.
Parish Council matters – PP, the next meeting is to be held on Wednesday 11th January. One item on the Agenda will be a village flagpole. The Committee requested that there be a public consultation to agree and also to the placing of the flag pole, maintenance costs and who will be responsible, any insurance required and type of flags to be flown, also who will pay for this? PP to feedback at next meeting.
Quiz night – WS, Committee members are requested to arrive at the Schoolroom at 18:30pm to set up before Quiz commences at 19:00pm. PV agreed to buy the prizes, Bryan (Green Tree) is to provide the pie and peas, we will need volunteers to collect these at 19:45. Everyone to bring a raffle prize and own drinks as required.
Village Show and Recipe book – the date had been set for 15th July 2017, an extra meeting to be agreed to discuss details.
70’s Night – WS has spoken to Bryan, he has agreed to provide Chicken in a Basket and Black Forest Gateaux at a cost of approximately £10 pp. There is a cost of £150 for Eddie (singer) plus cost of producing tickets/ posters/ decorations. The Committee agreed to set the cost of tickets at £12:50 pp. Everyone to bring a raffle prize as usual. (It was hoped that any money raised from the raffle would offset any shortfall in revenue from tickets making it cost neutral). Bryan has been offered help with decorating/ cleaning/serving on the night. It was suggested that each Committee member bring a photo of themselves in the 70’s (and also any other guests if they wished). An option to dress up will be suggested on the ticket. It was agreed that maximum tickets numbers for sale would be 40.
Suggestions for Events in 2017 – It was suggested that we hold another Murder Mystery and Wine tasting events. It was agreed to discuss this item further at the next meeting. Everyone to come armed with suggestions.
Costo Card – the Committee were unsure of the financial benefit of obtaining a card so this was put on hold for now.
Bethlehem Carol Sheets – LC showed the Committee a copy of the sheet, the cost of purchasing these Carol sheets would be £7 for 50. The Committee agreed to this expenditure.LC to purchase.
Tablecloths for Coffee mornings – WS, It has been suggested that we look in to buying our own washable “oilcloth” tablecloths. The Committee felt that these were too expensive to purchase and would continue to use the tablecloths already available at the Schoolroom.
The Craft Club – SP was on her own at the last meeting on 5th January. She requested that if you cannot make it then please let her know. Also because of the low numbers was it still viable? It was suggested that it be held in people’s homes to cut down on the expenditure and have a break in June for the summer. WS to speak with SP.
Wensleydale Railway – WS has been approached by the volunteers at Scruton Station to ask if the Committee would hold another Coffee morning to raise much needed funds for the Railway;s Education Programme. WR were extremely pleased and grateful for the donation from our last event. The Committee agreed to another coffee morning to raise funds, a date to be arranged later.
Thank you letter – LC read out a thank you card received from St Patrick’s Church for the Christmas Tree which was put in the Church for their event in December.
Church Clock Winding – PP informed the Committee that the Church Clock Winder, Olivia will be retiring from her job as the Church is to get a new electronic clock shortly. Does the Committee wish to contribute to her retirement gift? It was agreed that the Committee would contribute £10 on behalf of the people of the Village.
Dog Fouling Signs – MC reported that two signs have gone from the Village Green. The Committee agreed to the expenditure to purchase two more signs. MC to purchase.
Litter in the Village – HW reported that litter in and around the village was very bad again. PP agreed to take this to the Parish Council meeting.
Date/ location of next meeting –
A meeting for the Village Show was arranged for 6th February at Judith Johnson’s house (Ivy Cottage) at 3pm.
The next Committee meeting was arranged for 20th February at Margaret Chapman’s house (Kirkpatrick) at 3pm.
As there was no further business the Chair closed the meeting at 16:55pm.
The Events Committee
We meet bi-monthly to organise both social and fund raising activities in our village. Thanks for your support at our events.