Patrick Brompton Village Events Committee 23.11.16
The meeting was held at Rose Cottage and opened at 2pm.
In attendance : Margaret Chapman, Judi Johnson, Judith Cockburn, Linda Cork, Judy Norman, Wendy Shepherd, Penny Vernon, Pete Philpott and Helen Whitehead.
There is now a vacancy on this committee.
The minutes from the last meeting were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chair. There were no matters arising and one clerical alteration.
We currently have £934.84 in the bank with £30 for paint for the phone box and £27 to Karl for a further year of his AD (digestor) opposition website still to be paid out. Currently the Auditor has our paperwork including paying in and cheque books. We await their return by the accountant. The Beetle Drive although praised as great fun by all made a loss, however the last coffee morning made a healthy £160.60.
Coffee Morning Rota 2017
Following brief discussion WS will approach various church members over the weekend. Rota is almost complete.
The Village Signs
WS and LC met with Paul Ward of Ward’s Transport and were happy to hear that Wards would help us to repair and rebuild the old wishing well to hold a new village sign. WS will liaise with Wards and Grahame S will liaise with the N.Y. Highways re signage. A1L2B have offered help but as yet we are unsure of the form of this help.
Speeding in the Village
LC has written to Cllr Bull Chair of Parish Council, to express concern. There was discussion with plenty of examples of excess speed being used.
The phone box has been sand blasted. It was then spray painted by Mr Stan Hulett of Oak View. Our grateful thanks to him for the help. The box looks wonderful!
Christmas Tree Festival 10th and 11th Dec 2016
There was discussion of the decorations for the VEC tree. Members organized their contributions and will meet at 2pm on Friday 9th December to erect and decorate the tree.
Our thanks to Mr Phil Braithwaite of the Leeming Bar Garden Centre for the generous donation of a gift voucher to the raffle.
Christmas Fair 26.11.16
The VEC had offered to help at the event but JN reported that no help was being requested by the Church community. She asked if anyone attending could check with her to see if she needed help on the day, Thanks if you are able to do this.
Newsletter and Village Christmas Decorations.
It was decided that a short extra news sheet was needed to remind villagers of events and to advertise changes.
It has been suggested that we “Light up the Village” for Christmas with every household making an effort to put Christmas lights at the front of their houses.
FILM NIGHT IN DECEMBER IS CANCELLED DUE TO THE EQUIPMENT BEING UNAVAILABLE
PP has asked for the purchase of a sound bar and a DVD player for the club - likely cost £60 for each if purchased from Scotts in Bedale and in excess of this from Maxwells in Northallerton. . There remained concern that the system might not be compatible with all the different laptops used and PP was urged to look at low cost options such as Tesco, PC World or Amazon.
WS will speak to GS about supporting PP with the purchase. The VEC suggested a maximum spend of £100 from group funds.
The treasurer informed the meeting that the Film Club is making an overall loss at the moment, indeed although the last film – in October - was watched by 6 people, the total donated amounted to only £7 suggesting that the system of voluntary donations is not meeting the cost of the evenings.
PP will arrange a meeting to decide on the next 3 or 4 films asap. and inform PV of the films chosen to go in the December news sheet.
PP will create and distribute notices to outlying villages about the December cancellation and will put a notice on the schoolroom door on the evening the showing was due.
Parish Council Matters
Messages were sent to the Parish Council to be included in the next meeting. There was discussion by PP around the difficulty of having a village Christmas tree this year due to new H&S requirements.
Although only a small attendance, all agreed it had been a fun evening and worth repeating in the future. It was felt to be a good way to get to know more people. Sincere thanks to Hilary Clarke for all her organization and the generous donation of the prizes.
Parish Council Litter Pick
12 people attended the event and an amazing 18 black bags of rubbish were collected from around the village! Thanks to all who took part and thanks too for the tasty soup for the workers.
Village Show and Recipe Book
Show to be held on BBQ day - 15th July. Further details of these events/projects at next meeting
Quiz Night 13.1.17 7pm
WS to create tickets in time for sale at Dec coffee morning. £5 per ticket.
WS to buy ketchup
JC to buy Mint sauce
MC to buy bowls
Carol Singing 16.12.16
Meet at 6.30 pm at Manor Green. Bring a torch and dress warmly.
Brian will do mulled wine and possibly mince pies (we pay him) – WS to arrange and inform group.
Wine Tasting 17.12.16
PV to provide some Christmas decs for Schoolroom. Anyone else with any please?
Meet at 2pm to decorate Schoolroom
Committee members to bring a raffle prize each.
Cheeseboards needed – to Schoolroom at 2pm please
MC to buy supper foods and wines.
PV to contact Crakehall School re photocopying – 40 sheets needed.
ALL MEMBERS – help needed with clearing up the Schoolroom on Sunday 18th at 11am.
Lower Wensleydale Village Halls Network
WS has been to a meeting. Good way to keep informed although our Schoolroom cannot benefit from much of the combined buying being instigated, because of the ownership by a trust.
The new Village Noticeboard
It is understood that Mr E Grant is making a new board, which is a donation by Mrs Robson in memory of her late husband. There is no information about the completion date of this board at present.
JJ to e-mail relevant paperwork to WS and PV
Arrangements were discussed, as was the need to advertise the meeting in the news sheet. As stated at the start of the year, the Chair and the Secretary will not be continuing in their posts and members were urged to consider taking on these roles. There is currently one vacancy on the committee.
The AGM date was set for Monday 9th January at 3pm in The Old Schoolroom. (The next committee meeting will follow the AGM meeting).
The meeting closed at 4pm with thanks to Penny and Linda.
Monday 9th January 2017 after the AGM, which is at 3pm in The Old Schoolroom.
The Events Committee
We meet monthly to organise both social and fund raising activities in our village. Thanks for your support at our events.