ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH
The Minutes of a meeting of the Parochial Church Council held in Patrick Brompton Schoolroom
on Tuesday September 20th.2016, at 7 p.m.
Present : Mrs. M. O'Grady (chairman), Mr. A. Clark, Mrs. H. Clark, Mrs.J. Craggs, Mrs. C. Iveson, ,
Mrs. P. Johnson, Mrs. J. Norman, Mrs. A. Ropner, Mrs. O. Ryder, .
Apologies for absence were received from Mrs. E. Crossley, Mr. J. Cole, Mrs. B. Jobling, Mr. W.Parker
Pre Meeting : Graeme Shepherd and David Woodward came to explain about the damp in the west wall of the Schoolroom, which borders on to the churchyard. and to ask permission from the PCC to dig a temporary trench outside the wall in order to install a drain & soak away, once installed, the trench would be filled in again. The PCC were unanimous in their decision to allow this, but permission would have to be sort from the diocese first. The secretary to contact the diocese about this.
Penny Johnson opened the meeting with a reading from 1 Corinthians Ch.13 v.4 followed by prayers for our meeting, reflecting on the reading.
Minutes of the meeting held on June 6th. Having been circulated and read, the minutes were unanimously approved, and signed as a true record.
Matters Arising : The Gateway parishes profile had been completed and an advertisement for a Priest in Charge was now in the Church Times.
Correspondence : Two matters from local correspondence, regarding the damp in the schoolroom wall and an ash tree sapling in the Vicarage garden were being dealt with. Diocesan correspondence was presented and reported on.
Suggested Questions for new priest in charge interview : Two suggested questions from members present and two that had been sent in, were noted and given to Margaret O'Grady to discuss with the other 5 parish reps. at their joint meeting prior to the interview for a new priest in charge.
Safeguarding : Penny Johnson reported that she had attended a safeguarding training day at Leyburn, which had been led by Jenny Price, the diocesan safeguarding officer. This training day had focused on safeguarding adults. Church of England safeguarding booklets were returned and redistributed to those who had yet to read them.
Treasurer's Report : Copies of the Treasurer's Report (filed), for June, July & August were circulated. £8,000 of our requested share contribution of £15651 had now been paid. John Cole has agreed to take on the Gift Aid officer role from Bridgette Ormston and will be meeting with her in October, to learn about this task.
Fabric Report : The organ is due to be serviced on Monday 26th. September. The central heating will be serviced on Friday 23rd. September. A quotation from Stephen Smith to repair the leak in the roof on the north side, had been received and accepted. Alistair will make enquiries as to when Stephen Smith can commence the roof repair. THE CLOCK : A quote of £456 +V.A.T. had been received and accepted, from E & P electrics to provide the power supply for the automated clock, and they will be ready to do the work anytime. The Cumbria Clock Company will take 6 to 8 weeks to deal with the installation of the automation for the clock. The secretary to contact the diocese to check if a faculty will be needed for this. SALE OF GARAGE: A surveyor from the Land Registry will be meeting with Alistair to inspect the garage, for a decision prior to the sale, and if the conclusion is satisfactory, it is hoped there will be a date for completion before the end of the year. PLOT OF CHURCHYARD LAND : The diocesan surveyor thinks that the valuation for the land of £2,750 is extremely cheap and feels it could possibly be worth double this amount. He has offered to get involved at no extra cost to the P.C.C. and obtain a valuation from the diocesan surveyors. It was proposed by Avie Ropner and seconded by Penny Johnson that we should follow the advice of the diocesan surveyor,to have a second valuation from the diocesan surveyor's office. This was agreed by the majority present. CHURCHYARD: George and Maureen Dawes had sprayed the weeds on the church path and removed ivy. They have offered to attend to the church path again, when required. A letter of thanks had been sent to them. Offers of help with tidying the churchyard had come from Patrick Brompton Village Committee, and they will be contacted for individual working parties when convenient. Norman Iveson has offered to attend to the laurel growth on the west side. John Watson would be approached about the removal of branches piled up against the back wall. It was suggested that a list of churchyard tasks be put in the porch. The rubbish situation had improved.
Future Church Services : Harvest Service, this Sunday September 25th. Harvest gifts will be taken to Richmond Food Bank. A Service for Commemoration of the Dead Sunday October 30th. at 4pm. will be held at St. Patrick's Remembrance Sunday November 13th. will be at 10.45am. Johnnie Johnson to be asked to lay the wreath.
Fundraising: The Christmas Fayre on Saturday 26th. November will be held in Church again this year. Judy Norman, as our representative on the Village Committee, reported that the village committee has offered their help with the Christmas Fayre. The idea of a Christmas Tree Festival was discussed, and the village committee would like to help organise this. A suggested date for this event, is the weekend of 10th. /11th. December. Judy will report to the village committee and several P.C.C. members volunteered to help with this event.
Date of next meeting : Tuesday November 8th. 7 p.m.
The meeting closed with The Grace.
ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH
The Minutes of a meeting of the Parochial Church Council held in Patrick Brompton Schoolroom
on Monday June 6th. 2016, at 7 p.m.
Present : The Revd. Bryan Dixon (Chairman), Mrs. J. Craggs, Mrs. E. Crossley, Mr. J.Cole, Mrs. C. Iveson, , Mrs. P.Johnson, , Mr. W. Parker, Mrs. A. Ropner, Mrs. O. Ryder, .
Apologies for absence were received from Mr. A.Clark, Mrs.H.Clark, Mrs.B.Jobling, Mrs.J.Norman, Mrs. M.O'Grady,
The Rev'd Bryan opened the meeting with a reading from 1 Kings Chapter17. This was followed by prayers.
Minutes of the meeting March 15th. Having been circulated and read, the minutes were approved, with one amendment.
Matters Arising : It was noted that the two notices for the churchyard, requesting that rubbish to be taken away, were now in place. With thanks to Norman Iveson & Walter for arranging this. The Weaving Womens' Wisdom exhibition and concert with the N-leW choir had been an excellent evening and raised over £700 for the church.
Correspondence : A letter had been received from Mr. & Mrs. Chapman, enclosing a donation for the floodlighting. They requested that proceedings for the purchase of the small plot of land behind their house, should commence, considering the time delay of the garage purchase. Also, would it be possible to use solicitors other than the diocesan firm? Could we check the cost of the conveyancing? as the initial quote was £2,500, which they feel is way too much. Also, they asked if they could use the garage, until the sale is completed, to store their ride-on mower, which is used to cut the grass on the green. The P.C.C. agreed to the mower being stored in the garage, as long as Mr. & Mrs. Chapman agreed to be responsible for it. Re the garage sale, Alistair reported that the diocesan solicitors are still awaiting the outcome of their application to the Land Registry, for the legal title to the garage. Re the plot of land,the present value should be ascertained, as well as the procedure, and which solicitors to use.
Correspondence from the diocese had been received, encouraging all churches to become 'Fairtrade certified'. This will be discussed at a future meeting.
Mission & Outreach : Dates for Joint P.C.C. meetings had been circulated. These meetings are to discuss, plan & approve the parishes profile, to be used in advertising the post for a vicar. Tuesday June 21st. 7.30pm. at St. Gregory's, Crakehall, Tuesday July 19th. 7.30pm. at Harmby Village Hall, Thursday 1st. September 7.30pm. A Parish profile form for St. Patrick's, is to be completed before the meetings, which will then be included in the Benefice profile. During the interregnum, there may have to be a degree of flexibility with dates & times of church services.
Safeguarding Policy Statement (copy filed) : Penny Johnson presented the new diocesan 'Safeguarding Policy', which is much broader than previously, and which had been passed by Diocesan Synod. The diocesan safeguarding team had been increased. All P.C.C.s to discuss the new policy. Copies of the policy were handed round, as well as Guidance booklets, to be passed round, and handed on, to P.C.C. members to read. The new Safeguarding Policy Statement was signed by Rev. Bryan, and will be displayed in the porch.
Deanery Synod : Minutes of the last Deanery Synod will be sent out. They include an update on the proposed new share formula, which should be ready for application in 2017. The Church 'On Show' at the Wensley Show, 27th. August. Deanery Pilgrimage to Ripon Cathedral, 18th. September. It had been proposed at the 'Home Group', that a 'Food Bank' should be restarted at St. Patrick's. A special box had already been provided for this, items to be taken to the Food bank in Richmond, and reminders given out in the notices from time to time.
Fabric Report : The Jonathan Ropner family have kindly agreed to meet the cost of the installation of an automatic mechanism for the Church clock, in memory of Jonathan. A suitable brass plaque will be displayed. Alistair has informed the Cumbria Clock Company that we wish to accept their first quote. E & P electrics in Bedale will speak to the Clock Company & provide a quote for a power supply for the clock, and the P.C.C. agreed to pay for this.
A leak in the roof was discovered recently, on the north side, this was inspected by Stephen Smith, who will provide a quote. A number of tiles are missing. It was agreed that the cost would be met from the 'Roof Account'.
The removal of asbestos from the organ box is still to be done. The heating engineer is to service the heating at some stage. A delivery of oil was made this week, at a cost of c.£156.
Treasurer's Report (copy filed) : John Cole presented his report for April & May 2016, copies were circulated to all present. £3,000 of the share had been paid, of the £15651 due for the year. More than £200 as donations to the floodlighting, had recently been received. The new electricity contract, with Ecotricity had commenced, and also John had met a representative in church, from 'Green Journey', an energy provider recommended by the diocese, to provide a better deal for energy for churches. There will be a report in a few weeks.
A Gift Aid Officer is yet to be appointed. John Cole will ask Bridgette Ormston how much work is involved with this task, and report back.
Future Church Services : The Harvest Service at St. Patrick's will be on September 25th.
Events & Fundraising : The monthly coffee mornings at the Schoolroom are going well. Plans are in hand for for the Queen's Official Birthday weekend.
Date of next meeting : Tuesday September 20th.
The meeting closed with prayers.
A parochial church council (PCC) is the executive committee of a Church of England parish and consists of clergy and churchwardens of the parish, together with representatives of the laity.